Virginians want consumer-friendly health care
January 19, 2012
The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports a new group, Virginia Consumer Voices for Health Care, is pushing lawmakers to create a health insurance exchange that would limit the influence of health insurance companies and focus on the will of consumers. The group shared a new poll, from the AARP, that showed 84% of Virginians want consumers to control the exchange's governing board and 67% of Virginians are opposed to health industry control.
Progressive Point: Under the new health care law, Virginia can set up a marketplace where insurance companies compete for your business to ensure you get the best deal. Virginians want and need that system to be overseen by the consumers receiving the care, not by a biased industry more interested in making a buck.
Health care reform is already benefiting Virginia's small businesses, their employees, and their families, lowering costs and expanding coverage. Virginians now have access to the same health care as their congressmen, insurance companies can't deny care to people who are sick, and they can't deny coverage because of preexisting conditions.
An unbiased Virginia marketplace where families and small businesses can shop for health insurance plans will lower health care costs and keep them there. Our representatives must act immediately to ensure all Virginians have access to affordable, quality health care under an unbiased health care exchange controlled by consumers.
Get the Facts:
- Virginia's health benefit exchange will enable more than 500,000 Virginians to acquire heath care
- Virginia's health benefit exchange will save Virginians money by reducing the cost of uncompensated care for the uninsured by more than $800 million
- Virginia's health benefit exchange will provide options to ensure sufficient choice of providers and information on provider availability
- Virginia's health benefit exchange will protect consumers by requiring insurers to submit justifications for premium increases and making such justifications public
- Virginia's health benefit exchange will help consumers by making the process of deciding on a health care plan easier
- Virginia's health benefit exchange will help small business by providing a Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) to meet their unique needs.