Lowering Health Care Costs
December 7, 2011
The Roanoke Times reported yesterday that, "Gov. Bob McDonnell's administration will not push legislators to create a state-run health insurance exchange during the 2012 legislative session... The exchange would create a database for individuals and small businesses to shop for insurance coverage. The federal health care law calls for exchanges to be operational by 2013 and for coverage to begin in 2014."
Progressive Point: Under the new health care law, Virginia can set up a marketplace where insurance companies compete for your business to ensure you get the best deal. But Governor Bob McDonnell doesn't believe that insurance companies should all have to play by the same basic rules in order to provide consumers the best value. He would prefer to obstruct implementation of these rules while supporting Attorney General Cuccinelli's suit to overturn all of the benefits provided by the Affordable Care Act.
Thanks to Obamacare, Virginians now have access to the same health care as their congressmen, insurance companies can't deny care to people who are sick, and they can't deny coverage because of preexisting conditions. A dedicated Virginia marketplace where families and small businesses can shop for health insurance plans will lower health care costs and keep them there.
Governor McDonnell should act immediately to ensure all Virginians have access to affordable, quality health care.
Get the Facts:
- Virginia's health benefit exchange will enable more than 500,000 Virginians to acquire heath care
- Virginia's health benefit exchange will save Virginians money by reducing the cost of uncompensated care for the uninsured by more than $800 million
- Virginia's health benefit exchange will provide options to ensure sufficient choice of providers and information on provider availability
- Virginia's health benefit exchange will protect consumers by requiring insurers to submit justifications for premium increases and making such justifications public
- Virginia's health benefit exchange will help consumers by making the process of deciding on a health care plan easier
- Virginia's health benefit exchange will help small business by providing a Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) to meet their unique needs.