From the Blog
- Do you want to be a ProgressVA 2014 Legislative Intern? (45 minutes ago)
- VIDEO - Cuccinelli and Obenshain's Personhood History (Monday, Jul 29, 2013)
- UPDATED: McDonnell/Cuccinelli Star Scientific timeline graphic (Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013)
- ICYMI: Ken Cuccinelli's Back Door Abortion Ban Shutters Second Women's Health Center (Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013)
- GRAPHIC: What if Bob McDonnell Was Held To The Same Standard As Marion Barry? (Friday, Jul 12, 2013)
- Cuccinelli's Koch Party (Wednesday, May 29, 2013)
Which Bob McDonnell does Dick Black stand with?
One Bob McDonnell says public safety is government's top priority while the other cuts millions from public safety budgets while laying off Port Authority Police.Senate candidate Dick Black touts an endorsement from Governor McDonnell on his campaign website and has taken over $11,000 from McDonnell's leadership PAC. But which Bob McDonnell is Black standing with in his campaign--the one who says he supports public safety or the one who cuts millions of dollars from public safety budgets and fires police officers?
This morning on WRVA radio, McDonnell stated, "first and foremost the responsibility of government is public safety". Unfortunately, that statement is not reflected in McDonnell's actions. First, his 2010 budget amendments cut millions of dollars from public safety budgets. Then, McDonnell's handpicked Virginia Port Authority board announced they were laying off the majority of the port's police force and replacing them with rent-a-cops who won't even carry guns. Finally, McDonnell instructed agencies, including public safety, to prepare for additional across the board budget cuts of up to 6%. Bob McDonnell says one thing and does another when it comes to Virginia's public safety.
"Voters in Northern Virginia deserve clear answers about which Bob McDonnell Dick Black stands with in his campaign for State Senate," said Anna Scholl, Executive Director of ProgressVA. "Does Black support the Bob McDonnell that prioritizes public safety or the Bob McDonnell that guts public safety budgets and lays off police officers?"
Black declares on his website, "I am committed to keeping our communities safe." Virginia voters need to know: will Black follow Bob McDonnell's lead and simply pay lip service or will he truly support government's responsibility when it comes to public safety.