From the Blog
- Two Steps Back From Banning Discrimination (Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014)
- Update: Manassas's Measure to Ban Abortion (Friday, Jan 24, 2014)
- Gift Loopholes Big Enough For A McDonnell Sized Scandal (Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014)
- Dickie Bell's Detrimental Bill (Friday, Jan 17, 2014)
- URGENT CALLERS NEEDED: Fetal Anomaly Amendment up at 4PM! (Thursday, Jan 16, 2014)
- The Unaddressed "Accomplishments" of Governor McDonnell (Thursday, Jan 9, 2014)
TweetsTweets by @ProgressVA
Memo to McDonnell: Republicans Putting Norquist on the "Naughty" List this Christmas
While McDonnell sends his staff on a pilgrimage to the DC lobbyist, 50 Republicans and counting have disavowed Norquist pledge
As Governor McDonnell's staff heads to Washington today to beg indulgence from D.C. lobbyist Grover Norquist to do something about Virginia's crumbling infrastructure, his fellow Republicans are racing to distance themselves from Norquist's anti-tax pledge. Even McDonnell's fellow Virginians, Congressmen Eric Cantor and Scott Rigell, have walked back their commitment to Norquist's pledge while Congressmen Rob Wittman and Frank Wolf have refused to sign. All told, at least 50 Republicans have distanced themselves from the pledge.
McDonnell might to well to follow his colleagues' lead. Recent public polling showed voters who know Norquist view him unfavorably by a 10-point margin. Indeed, current polls of Virginians demonstrate broad support for raising revenue and almost universallydemand solutions to the Commonwealth's transportation problems.
ProgressVA Executive Director Anna Scholl released the following statement: "Virginia families should be more important to Governor McDonnell than some tax lobbyist in Washington, D.C.. Republicans across the country are rejecting this extremist pledge that puts radical ideology before the needs of their constituents. Virginians are begging for home-front investments to fix our crumbling infrastructure and support community schools suffering from billion dollar budget cuts. We hope the Governor delivers."