From the Blog
- Do you want to be a ProgressVA 2014 Legislative Intern? (44 minutes ago)
- VIDEO - Cuccinelli and Obenshain's Personhood History (Monday, Jul 29, 2013)
- UPDATED: McDonnell/Cuccinelli Star Scientific timeline graphic (Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013)
- ICYMI: Ken Cuccinelli's Back Door Abortion Ban Shutters Second Women's Health Center (Wednesday, Jul 17, 2013)
- GRAPHIC: What if Bob McDonnell Was Held To The Same Standard As Marion Barry? (Friday, Jul 12, 2013)
- Cuccinelli's Koch Party (Wednesday, May 29, 2013)
Does Governor McDonnell have a listening problem?
McDonnell changed his schedule this morning to duck Virginians, has insisted he will sign legislation opposed by majority of Virginians
Governor McDonnell was supposed to head to polls at 11:15 this morning to cast his ballot in the Republican presidential primary. Once word got out that Virginians troubled with conservative attacks on women would be there to greet him, Governor McDonnell quickly changed his schedule to avoid encountering them.
McDonnell has exhibited a disturbing pattern of ignoring the voices of Virginia families in recent weeks. Even after he received over 33,000 petition signatures opposing conservative attacks on women's health and thousands of Virginians protested on Capitol Square, McDonnell has still insisted he will sign HB 462, which mandates expensive and medically unnecessary ultrasounds for women seeking an abortion. A recent poll conducted by the Richmond Times Dispatch found that 55% of Virginiansoppose legislation mandating ultrasound procedures. In just the past 24 hours, over 3300 Virginians have contacted Governor McDonnell asking him to veto HB 462.
"The evidence is stacking up that Bob McDonnell is willfully out of touch with Virginia families," said ProgressVA Executive Director Anna Scholl. "Governor McDonnell has either been too busy pushing an extreme, conservative agenda or too focused on his national political aspirations to pay heed to the voices of Virginia families. What will it take to get him to listen?"
This is not the first time McDonnell has failed to listen to Virginians. This winter, after thousands of Virginians and advocates for working families asked Governor McDonnell to take a balanced approach to Virginia's budget, he introduced a cuts-only budget that was balanced on the backs of Virginia families while protecting egregious corporate tax loopholes and giveaways.