Job Description: Progress Virginia 2019 Legislative Fellows
Progress Virginia is a multi-issue progressive advocacy organization that combines cutting edge online organizing and communications with rapid and hard-hitting earned media strategies. Year round, we work to engage citizens from across the Commonwealth around issues of immediate state or local concern.
Our mission is to provide a strong, credible voice in advancing progressive solutions to critical community problems. But we don’t do that on our own—we work as a communications team for the entire progressive community. We’re a marketing department for progressive ideas—a campaign that never stops. We work year-round to challenge conservative propaganda in the media and make sure that progressive perspectives are heard. 2019 Legislative Fellows What we’re offering: An opportunity to join our hardworking team. The enthusiastic activists chosen for this position will work directly with the Executive Director and Project Manager to monitor legislation and assist with legislative strategies. This is a paid fellowship.
Legislative fellows will be responsible for:
● Executing our video monitoring project at the General Assembly
● Tracking legislation and providing staff with periodic updates
● Tracking media coverage of key bills and issues and generating media reports
● Contributing content to the organization’s digital platforms, including blogs and social media
● Other duties as assigned
We want you if you are:
● A creative self-starter who is comfortable with both taking the initiative and working in collaboration.
● Detail oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills
● Interested in progressive politics and being part of the process
● Located in the Richmond area and able to be at the General Assembly building 1-2 times/week
The legislative fellows program will run from January 9th to February 23rd. Fellows must be able to get to the General Assembly building in downtown Richmond and able to commit to at least one of the below shifts. Individuals who can commit to more than one shift will be given priority.
● Mondays 7:00am – 12:00pm
● Mondays 12:00pm-6:00pm
● Tuesdays 7:00am – 12:00pm
● Tuesdays 12:00pm-6:00pm
● Wednesdays 7:00am – 12:00pm
● Wednesdays 12:00pm-6:00pm
● Thursdays 7:00am – 12:00pm
● Thursdays 12:00pm-6:00pm
● Fridays 7:00am – 12:00pm
Interested? Here’s how to apply:
Please send your resume, cover letter, and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org. Progress Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.